Neglect Advice for Children and Young People
Is this you?
Do you feel...
- Like no one at home listens?
- Worried about your younger brother or sister?
- Worried about a parent or carer?
- Different to your classmates?
- That your clothes aren’t clean?
You can talk to someone in confidence.
How to spot Neglect.
Is this you or someone you know?
Signs of neglect include:
- Being smelly or dirty
- Unwashed clothes
- Not wearing the right clothes for the weather e.g. no coat
- Being hungry, no breakfast, lunch or lunch money
- Untreated injuries that linger and return
- Dental problems e.g. bad breath or toothache
- Missed medical appointments
- Poor language and communication skills
- Living in an unsuitable environment e.g. unsafe, no heating, dog mess not being cleared away
- Aggressive behaviour
- Self harm
- Missing school
- Alcohol and drugs
- Eating disorders
No one should suffer in silence, you are not alone.