Signs of Safety in Cheshire East
Cheshire East is adopting Signs of Safety as our way of working with families because this will support us to achieve the type of service that children, young people, parents and carers have told us they want. Best practice is child-focused, solution-orientated, and respectful and inclusive of families, and this is what we want to achieve through adopting Signs of Safety.
Where Signs of Safety has been adopted by other local authorities it has been welcomed by families. Families have reported that (often for the first time) they are clear about what services expect from them. Families particularly like that their views and strengths are acknowledged as well as their weaknesses understood.
Signs of Safety is now widely recognised internationally as the leading approach to child protection casework. It provides a clear framework for how to do the work within children’s services; how to build relationships with families and work effectively with them to achieve strong outcomes for children and young people.
Signs of Safety will change the way we work so that we can involve families fully in decision making. It will affect:
- how we carry out assessments and how we create plans
- the types of questions we ask
- how we conduct meetings
- the language we use and how we explain what’s happening
You will be asked to talk about:
- What's working well
- What we're worried about
- How worried you are on a scale of 0-10
- What needs to happen
Our Signs of Safety Strategy (PDF, 2MB) sets out what using Signs of Safety involves, what we want to achieve through adopting Signs of Safety, and how we will do this in Cheshire East.
Guidance on Using Signs of Safety
Click here to go to the dedicated page of resources and Guidance on how to use Signs of Safety within early help and prevention at CAF, child in need and child protection, and services for cared for children and young people and care leavers.
Signs of Safety Training
We are running half day training on Signs of Safety. This covers:
- What Signs of Safety is
- How to use it in practice
- Tools for working with children, young people and families
- How to apply it at CAF as Signs of Wellbeing, and in Cared for Services as Signs of Stability
We will also be offering the full 2 day Signs of Safety training from June 2018. Dates for this will be released soon. If you will be attending the 2 day training you won’t need to attend the half day session.
The half day training sessions are on:
- Tuesday 24th April, 9.30-1.00, Calvary Church, Mere Brook Road, Macclesfield, SK11 8RH
- Wednesday 25th April, 9.30-1.00, Crewe Alexandra Stadium, Gresty Road, Crewe, CW2 6EB
- Wednesday 23rd May, 9.30-1.00, Macclesfield Old Town Hall, Macclesfield, SK10 1EA
- Wednesday 6th June, 9.30-1.00, Crewe Alexandra Stadium, Gresty Road, Crewe, CW2 6EB
To book your place:
Please email us with the date you would like to book onto at SignsofSafety@cheshireeast.gov.uk
Places are limited so please book soon to avoid disappointment
Any queries – please contact us at the email address above or contact Rebekka Wilson at 01270 685962
Want to find out more?
Please see our Newsletters: